Wordpress snowstorm powered by nksnow
Here are some facts about breastmilk you may not have been aware of … and some myths busted along the way 🙂
- Breastmilk contains hundreds of ingredients that cannot be produced artificially- Breastmilk is unique and custom-made for each baby and each breastfeed – no two breastmilks or breastfeeds are the same.
- The composition of breastmilk changes depending on the time of day, health of the mother/baby, weather conditions, age of baby.
- The shape or size of a woman’s breasts has no implication whatsoever on her ability to breastfeed.
- Breastfeeding burns 300 – 500 calories per day.
- Hormones released during pregnancy change a woman’s breast in preparation for breastfeeding – whether the woman choses to breastfeed or not.
- The position of the baby at the breast is not all that important – what matters is a good latch. Positioning can be very individual.
- 98% of women worldwide are physically able to breastfeed and produce more than enough milk to feed at least one baby.
- Breastmilk contains sleep-inducing proteins to relax your baby and hormones released by the sucking baby help relax mum.
- Mums who are exclusively breastfeeding get the most amount of sleep compared with combine feeders or formula feeders.
- Breastmilk is a living organism and fresh breastmilk can last up to 8 hours at room temperature.
- Breastfeeding should not hurt (past some tenderness in the early days).
- Breastmilk is so well digested that a healthy breastfed baby can go for days without a poo.
- Colostrum, the first breastmilk a baby drinks, is like a natural vaccination, lining and sealing baby’s gut against nasty invadors.
- The frequent skin contact during breastfeeding supports normal brain development.
- Each nipple has up to 20 openings to release milk, about 5 are active at a time.
- Breastmilk has many uses: sticky eyes, stuffy noses, sore ears, sore bums, sore nipples.
- The amount you are able to express says nothing about the amount your baby ingests at each feed.
- For the vast majority of breastfeedig issues, there’s a breastfeeding solution.
- It is possible to find breastfeeding friendly medication for the majority of circumstances.
Come visit us in Dundalk! Arrange an appointment for a one-on-one Consultation or to pick up your purchase x